SPOILER ALERT-
The Widower
D.L. Fisher
I am in the middle of this audio book right now.
Jessica Preddy, the narrator, seems to have a somewhat limited range of different character voices and I think she says "goodness sake" like "goodnesses sake," but I enjoy listening to her warm and articulate voice.
However, I am having trouble following the plot. When listening to this book, I feel as if I have tuned in to Book 2 in a series without having read Book 1. There are many references to past dealings with various characters; but not a lot of description or introduction to the circumstances of their previous interactions. Am I missing something?
This is not to say I don't enjoy the book. I do. I like the main character Carrie (hope she's not the villian); and enjoy the warm narrator voice.
In fact have re-listened to the chapters several times. I feel like this book will build to an exciting conclusion, and want to enjoy the excitement of the conclusion; I'm just a bit befuddled.
For example, the main character, at one point, sticks her hand in her night table and finds a necklace covered in dried blood; but says nothing of it to anyone! She says in internal dialogue it belongs to a woman who was recently murdered, but never mentions it to anyone. Next, for some reason, the cops accuse her of cutting the brake lines of a woman who almost died in a car accident. When the police detective asks her to drive in and answer some questions, she finds blood on the floor of her garage; but says nothing to anyone.
Furthermore, Carrie's husband is an attorney. Why does she even agree to go to the police station without him? She calls her husband after the cops say a witness has placed her outside the crash victim's garage before the crash, but just leaves voicemails.
I like the main character and the narration voice is warm and easy to understand. I want to keep listening; but I almost get the feeling I am missing something, or many things!
This is (right now) a free offering on Audible. I appreciate the free book and have enjoyed the story; but I am so confused by the character's actions.
I always appreciate authors and narrators who share their talents.
OMG....I just realized the book is a sequel to "The Stepson," by D.L. Fisher. I am listening to that now. Oops. Well, I wrote the essay and asked the universe of information, and the universe of information provided. Hehe
Comments
Post a Comment